How to paint a rocket stove.
These application instructions can also be used to paint a wood stove, BBQ smoker and also how to paint a BBQ Pit and Ugly drum smoker paint. Thurmalox is the chosen brand name and has been around for over 100 years.
There is a lot more technique and preparation involved in painting a wood stove or fireplace with high temperature paint. There are high temperatures involved, which requires the paint to be formulated to be applied in certain ways such as brush, roller and spray applications.
There are three basic steps that should be followed when using a high temp paint to paint or touch up your wood stove, fireplace, fireplace insert or other high temperature metal surfaces.
1. Prepare the Surface
2. Application of the High Heat Paint
3. Curing the High Temperature Paint/Coating
Preparing the Appliance Surface for High Temp Paint
The first and most important step to painting with a high temperature paint is surface preparation. Check the metal for any rust, peeling or blistering. A bare metal surface is recommended. The better the surface preparation, the better the adhesion. Rust can be removed from the metal surface by sandblasting, sanding or grinding. Metal surfaces that reach high temperatures you are preparing to paint must remove grease, oil, dirt or any other contaminant that might prevent the high heat paint from adhering to the metal of the surface. Xylene or Acetone is a great choice to remove all grease, fingerprints, oil and dirt. These are solvents and degreasers that cuts oil and grease quickly to help prepare the surface prior to painting.
Tape off any glass, handles or anything else that you don't want to accidentally get paint on.
Take extra effort in surface preparation will lead to the best chance for a durable finish.
Cleaners and oil-based solvents should not be used at all. These cleaners and solvents leave a residue that will inhibit the adhesion qualities of high temp paint.
Applying the High Temp Paint
After the surface prep is complete, high temp paint application requires some care and technique to get the best results so be sure to follow these application instructions.
- Shake the can for at least 2 minutes. This will ensure that the paint pigment, metallic and solvents are completely mixed for the best uniform finish when sprayed.
- Best results are achieved when the paint, the surface of the stove and the air are temperatures are above 65 degrees and below 85 degrees.
- Be sure the area is well-ventilated before applying the paint to your surface. Also, be sure that all open flames are extinguished and that you are wearing appropriate protection such as vapor masks for high temp paint application.
- Applying two light coats will provide better results and a more even finish than applying one heavy coat of high temp paint. Wait about 15 minutes in between the first and second light application of high temperature paint.
- For best results, high temp paint should be sprayed at a distance of 12 to 18 inches away from the heating appliance.
- Allow your metal surface at least 48 hours to "air cure" After high temp paint application.
Step 3 - Curing the High Temp Paint
To cure your high temperature paint after applying it to your fireplace, fireplace insert, wood stove or other high temperature BBQ smoker / Rocket stove, follow the steps:
1. Build a small kindling fire to start.
2. Add fuel to build a medium size fire to bring the stove surface temperature to about 350 degrees.
3. Keep the medium size fire going in your wood stove or fireplace going for about 30-45 minutes.
During the high temperature burn phase there could be smoke and unpleasant odor. Ventilate the room alleviate this effect with open windows and doors to provide airflow.
The smoke from the curing process is primarily carbon dioxide, and is therefore non-toxic but it can be uncomfortable to small children, elderly persons and those with breathing problems.
High temperature paint is available in aerosol cans, quarts, gallons and 5 gallon pails in an assortment of colors to complement any home or if a custom color is desired.
For more details and how to order